Help Desk Technician
Position Title: Help Desk Technician
Supervisor: Client Support Technician
Grade: 54, non-exempt union
Hours: Full-time, hybrid (40 hours per week) with evening and weekend hours as needed.
Provide a single point of contact for end users to receive support with the organization’s computing and communications environment. This includes installing, configuring, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all PC (Windows and Mac OS) hardware and equipment to ensure optimal workstation performance. The Help Desk Technician will install, configure, support, and maintain printers, copiers, scanner and AV equipment. This person will also troubleshoot problem areas in person, by telephone or via remote connection The Help Desk Technician will report to the Client Support Technician and will work closely with other members of the technology department to support all end users.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under supervision, this position is responsible for installing, repairing, and performing preventative maintenance on a variety of new and/or complex computer systems, AV equipment, telephones, and peripheral devices.
- Set up, maintain, and troubleshoot Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS desktop, laptop and iPad computers.
- Provide backup support for events and teaching, including audio and video setup, operating equipment, and maintenance of equipment and repair.
- Install and configure software, upgrade, and backup of software and hardware applications.
- Set up and configure printers, scanners, and other peripherals.
- Document issue resolution using the help desk ticketing system.
- Maintain inventory of all hardware and software resources and surplus equipment.
- Maintain excellent communication with all end users, vendors, and other members of the technology department.
- Create and update departmental and end-user documentation.
- Test, deploy, and update software.
- Must possess the ability to exercise judgment and take the initiative to rebuild, image, troubleshoot, and manage hardware and applications running on Windows/MAC OS, including Office applications, email and other critical applications.
- Coordinate repair, replacement, return, disposal, and movement of IT assets with vendors and other departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate with three years of experience in an IT environment.
- Minimum two years of experience providing customer service.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of a variety of hardware, software, and operating systems. Basic knowledge of network protocols and experience working in the Microsoft 365 end-user and administrative environment.
- A college degree is strongly preferred. Strong PC technical skills, including hardware and software configuration. Working understanding of the following technologies: Wireless networking, VoIP, , file & print services, Windows 10/11, Mac OS, imaging and automated deployment, conference room equipment, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, VPN connectivity, Active Directory/Entra, account provisioning, service desk ticketing systems. Working knowledge of current iOS and Android software and hardware.
Must be able to frequently travel between campus worksites, push, lift and carry 35 pounds regularly.
The position remains open until filled. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking the link below.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Home of The Humanities