Fresh Connect, Principal Software Architect
Fresh Connect, Principal Software Architect
About Fresh is a Boston-based nonprofit committed to expanding access to the high-quality, fresh food that is vital to people’s health, wellbeing, and culture. By empowering individual purchasing power, ensuring local and convenient access to fresh food, and taking into account the different ways in which people experience food, About Fresh is transforming the food system and who pays for it. About Fresh operates two programs:
- Fresh Truck mobile markets bring affordable, healthy food to Boston neighborhoods;
- Fresh Connect is a pre-paid debit card and analytic platform that enables healthcare providers to cover the cost of healthy food for patients and measure related health impacts.
As the Principal Software Architect you will lead the technical strategy and development of Fresh Connect, a software platform built by About Fresh that enables healthcare to cover the cost of healthy food and analyze related impacts.
What you’ll do
- Define and implement the technical vision, strategy, and operating plans for Fresh Connect technology, architecture and infrastructure as well as defining the architectural principles and practices required to deliver with excellence
- Direct architectural and software development (lifecycle) decisions across internal and contracted teams to guide and optimize engineer efficiency
- Design solutions that are secure, scalable and maintainable across wide networks of healthcare partners
- Drive development and delivery with attention and adherence to security practices and HIPAA compliance (product, platform and data management)
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to improve workflow, processes, and communication
- Thoughtfully engage non-technical business stakeholders to understand business needs and map to technical architecture requirements
- Analyze and provide feedback on product development strategy, requirements, and priorities
- Provide input into product roadmap, requirements, best practices, and operational guidelines, with focus on continuous improvement of platform reliability and serviceability
- Drive research, case studies, and prototypes on cutting edge technologies and how they can be leveraged
- Ensure the highest standard of engineering excellence across internal and external teams
Who you are
- 8-10 years of experience managing engineering teams with an emphasis in agile software development, security, quality assurance, infrastructure, developer efficiency, and related areas in a startup environment
- 8-10 years of experience leading teams that build developer facing APIs, tools, and test automation with a focus on enabling developer efficiency
- Deep experience with Elixir, Phoenix LiveView, PostgreSQL, Azure, Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm, Docker, Github and Github Actions
- A bias towards action, with the ability to balance between getting things done and making things perfect
- Experience growing and scaling software teams from 5-20 people, with experience leading and influencing front-end, back-end and mobile development as well as UX and testing
- Strong analytical skills and a sense of ownership/accountability
- Mastery in multiple programming languages and platforms
- Ability to independently craft and deliver large complex projects
- Ability to provide (informal) coaching to team members to support their understanding of the architecture and aid in their technical development
- Develops technical performance architecture that solves most complex performance issues
- Experience in short release cycles, the full software lifecycle, defect management and leakage, troubleshooting and customer experience
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
About Fresh requires its Colleagues to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including any booster shots if required), where allowable under the law, unless they are approved for a reasonable accommodation based on disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
- If you are vaccinated, you are required to have received at least one COVID-19 shot prior to your first day of employment and to provide proof of your vaccination status within the first 30 days of your employment. For the two COVID-19 shot regimen, you will be required to provide proof of your second COVID-19 shot within the first 60 days of your employment. Failure to provide timely proof of your COVID-19 vaccination status will result in the termination of your employment with About Fresh.
- If you are unable to be fully vaccinated due to disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or religious belief, you will be required to apply for a reasonable accommodation within the first 30 days of your employment in order to remain employed with About Fresh. As a part of this process, you will be required to provide information or documentation about the reason you cannot be vaccinated. If your request for an accommodation is not approved, then your employment may be terminated.
What you’ll get
- Work with a dynamic, dedicated, and diverse team to make it easier for people to get the food they need to be healthy, happy, and hopeful
- The salary range for this position is $140,000-$150,000
- Competitive benefits package provided for employees and eligible dependents, including full employer paid health, subsidized dental and vision coverage
- 3 weeks paid vacation time, plus last week of the year off, and paid company holidays
- 403-b retirement savings matching
- Personal learning and development funds
- Focus on projects that matter. No fluff, our work gets us towards our goal
- Influence current technology stack and own future tech stack decisions
- Shape the tech development culture for our team
- Free fruits and vegetables from Fresh Truck’s mobile market
About Fresh practices equity, inclusion, and belonging throughout our programming, hiring practices, and organizational design to create a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and making decisions in service of our mission. About Fresh staff represent a wide range of racial, socioeconomic, gender, religious, and national identities—we value the depth this brings to carrying out our mission. About Fresh is an equal opportunity employer.
About Fresh Culture Code
We’re Driven by People
We honor people by listening to their experiences and sharing our own. We do our best at work when we nurture relationships and care for people and our partners.
We’re About Learning
We are audacious learners and program builders. Our persistence and confidence in learning drives our ability to solve complex problems and engineer impactful solutions.
We Come Through
We deliver in everyday and big moments. We greet our work with a deep sense of responsibility and discipline, knowing that people rely on our work, and are betting on us to shape the future of food equity.
Food is ❤️
We believe food is our culture, happiness + health. Our work is inspired by moments of joy, connection, humor, and healing that happen when we gather around food.
Your application has been successfully submitted.