ABOUT POMONA COLLEGE: Located near Los Angeles, California, Pomona College is widely regarded as one of the nation's premier liberal arts colleges. Established in 1887, Pomona College is known for small classes, a challenging curriculum, close relationships between students and faculty, and a range of student research and leadership opportunities. Pomona is a member of The Claremont Colleges.
POSITION SUMMARY: The person in this position will serve on the Research and Instructional Technology Group (RITG), the team within Pomona’s Information Technology Services (ITS) to support the teaching, learning, and research of Pomona College students and faculty. S/he will provide instructional technology support services and participate in the coordination of these services with other curricular and research support colleagues. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with experience in supporting teaching and scholarship at the college level. They will have facility working with faculty from across the disciplines using both established and newer instructional technologies and techniques.
Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Digital Learning Technologies and Operations, the Instructional Technologist works independently and collaboratively to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Provide technical and pedagogical support services to faculty and other curricular and research colleagues to meet teaching, learning and research goals.
- Work with faculty and instructional staff using Pomona College’s learning management system and related teaching tools to create, design, enhance and support effective learning experiences.
- Assist with the design, development, and production of course materials using digital learning tools and the application of inclusive, evidence-based and high-impact teaching and learning strategies.
- Participate in the exploration, evaluation, adoption and integration of new and/or emerging technologies that may have potential value at Pomona.
- Design, maintain and update the RITG website and other ITS web sites/pages as needed.
- Collaborate and contribute to RITG’s faculty development program by assisting in the planning and coordination, leading workshops and consulting with faculty one-on-one.
- Hire, train and oversee student workers to provide optimum services to support the research and effective, innovative uses of instructional technologies at Pomona College.
- Assist with ITS’ communications strategy, including blog posts, newsletters, College-wide emails and any semester/yearly reports.
- Work closely with other ITS team members to evaluate, test, implement and promote tools, maintain technical documentation and provide instructional technology training.
- Coordinate, develop, or lead special projects/tasks/duties and provide assistance as assigned.
- Collaborate with Claremont Consortium colleagues to develop joint projects that integrate effective pedagogical practices, emerging technologies, and innovative multimedia use in teaching and learning.
- Serve on departmental and/or college-wide committees and task forces, as required.
- Keep current on research about the use of instructional technologies and pedagogical practices and stay abreast of educational technology trends.
- Must complete the bi-annual AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention Training as required by the State of California.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in instructional/educational technology, media studies, digital scholarship or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Master’s degree in these fields or a related subject is strongly preferred.
A minimum of three years of experience post degree working with advanced multimedia and web technology, digital video and audio production, learning management systems and/or various classroom and online learning technologies within a higher education setting is required. Five years of professional experience in instructional technology, curriculum and instruction, or other related fields is preferred. Strong theoretical and working knowledge of current and emerging technologies, academic trends and practices, and research across the higher education landscape. Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills that enable effective leadership, training, team membership, and proactive initiative are also preferred.
New employees are required to show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or request a Pomona College-approved medical or religious exemption on or before their first day of employment. If you are unable to do so, at the College’s sole discretion, it will work with you to reasonably adjust your start date. Please let your HR Business Partner know if you are unable to provide proof of vaccination or want to request a religious or medical exemption before or on your first day of employment. Note that if you request a religious or medical exemption, it may delay your start date so that we can review and discuss your request.
As a California employer, Pomona College requires all employees to be residents of California.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full-time position are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Travel will be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division.
ADDITIONAL POSITION DETAILS: Regular, full-time, exempt position. Starting pay rate: $80,966 per year. Please submit your resume and cover letter. All staff positions are ineligible for visa or permanent resident card sponsorship.
TO APPLY: Please submit your resume and cover letter. You may submit both resume and cover letter as one attachment in the My Experience section of the application under the "resume/CV" upload section, or as separate attachments. Once you submit your application, you will not be able to attach additional documents.
POMONA COLLEGE REWARDS: Pomona College offers a wide variety of benefits and perks including health, dental, and vision plan options; paid time off; flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits; tuition assistance; fitness and wellness programs; rideshare incentives; and so much more!
Pomona College prides itself in being an open, competitive, and equal opportunity employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Browse jobs at Pomona College.