Vice President, Technology
At McElhanney, we care; about each other, our clients, and our communities. We are driven by our grit, passion, and perseverance and we rally behind safety and respect, and inclusion for all. With our core values acting as our guiding principles in every decision that we make, our executive leaders show up each day to lead our firm with purpose-driven direction, and our people with support and care.
McElhanney is pleased to announce that we have an opportunity for a Vice President, Technology to join our executive leadership team. Coupled with dynamic people and leadership skills, and a passion for continuous improvement, you will be leading 30+ team members and guide technology strategies for company-wide operations that align with our strategic vision.
Ideally, we would prefer the successful candidate to be based out of Vancouver, however you could be located within any one of our McElhanney offices across Western Canada.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Working closely with our Digital Business team, Business Information Technology team, executive leadership team, and operational leaders, you will contribute to enhancing organizational innovation by seeking, evaluating, and implementing technological advancements. You will be responsible for guiding the overall information technology strategy and can rely on capable and established senior IT staff in the execution of optimal in-house IT solutions. You will also play a key role in aligning McElhanney’s technology direction with our overall corporate strategic objectives, visions, and values. At every level, you are known as the inspirational leader who encourages collaborative relationships, growth, and innovation. The results of your efforts leave a lasting positive reputation with our internal clients, communities, and partners.
Who You Are: A Strategic Partner, a Leader and an Achiever.
As a Strategic Partner, you are a highly collaborative and people-focused business professional. You can sort through the clutter and find the best route. Your keen technological knowledge helps you recognize patterns and create solutions for McElhanney when others see complexity. You envision the future, and you inspire your team to see it with you. You actively participate in Executive Committee meetings where you contribute to shaping the future of our company. You know that two-way communication is key to making transformations happen, which is why you find ways to connect key insights to different layers within your team.
- You execute technological investments and initiatives that further growth of internal business teams, improve external experiences, and create competitive advantages
- You implement short- and long-term technology strategies that align with our corporate strategic plan and inspire a team of innovative and collaborative professionals
- You mobilize internal and external resources and execute on annual business plans and multi-year strategic plans
- You keep abreast of emerging issues, trends, and evolving regulatory requirements and assess potential impacts to McElhanney and our operations
- You have the ability to look at the strategic “big picture” but also can dive into the details if necessary
As a Leader, you prioritize a people-centred approach which results in a responsive team and the culmination of an environment where staff are engaged at work feeling valued and empowered every day. You actively explore new technology and their impacts on our expanding business. Your teams seek your leadership, they believe in it, and they are confident that you will lead with the shared vision to get there.
- You provide McElhanney with a strategic advantage by finding ways to expand or optimize the services we provide to our clients
- You foster innovation within the organization to create new solutions that enable business results and to improve effectiveness of Business Information Technology and all internal service delivery
- You develop organizational capabilities by analyzing current systems, and deciding if they would benefit from change
- You have the ability to quickly develop rapport with key stakeholders by bridging the gap between technology and business operations
As an Achiever, you are exceptionally talented at motivating your teams to reach their targets. Your level of enthusiasm and optimism is the jolt they can always count on. When others start to wander down other avenues, you bring them back to the main road. Your focus is powerful, as it gets you and those around you closer to achieving your collective goals as a team.
- You work closely with our IT team to lead our internal systems strategy for infrastructure and security to ensure we are operating in a manner that is cost effective, efficient, integrated, secure, accessible, and sustainable
- You continually assess and enhance our dashboards and business applications, McElhanney’s KPI measuring tools, to provide operations management with the business insights and predictive analytics to manage and react to a changing environment
- You direct the successful delivery of large, multi-phased information technology projects using effective delivery processes and management tools
- You deliver exceptional IT service to all internal branches as well as unparalleled digital experiences for external clients and internal team members
What You’ll Bring:
- Completion of bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field. Master’s Degree in a related discipline is preferred.
- 10+ years’ progressive experience in an information technology role supplemented by 5 years’ experience as a senior thought leader.
- Solid understanding of data analysis, budgeting and business operations.
- Experience in launching digital products, developing alternative revenue streams and business models.
- A track-record of building and fostering collaborative relationships within an organization, while delivering on performance objectives.
- Experience with ERP system replacement, experimental design and leading agile methodologies.
- Comprehensive understanding of cloud-based architecture, application development and large and sub-system integration and oversight.
- Seasoned strategist who is passionate about creating business value by embracing technology; a champion of practical application of innovation.
- Proven experience in executing large initiatives with complex integration requirements with multiple stakeholders.
What Can We Offer You
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle including remote working options
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Shareholding opportunities as a partner in a highly successful business
- Extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching
- Employee & Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support online or over the phone
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Competitive salary, participation in our generous performance bonus plan, and shareholding options
- Financial assistance to support your relocation
Our Commitment to Diversity
As our Leadership team grows, we continue to recognize the importance of building high-performing teams that are diverse and inclusive. At McElhanney, diversity means engaging the best minds of the profession, which includes women, Indigenous people, and people of colour. We strive to foster and sustain a culture where all staff have an equal opportunity to belong and build a meaningful career. This position welcomes all qualified candidates to apply, and we specifically encourage all ethnicities, religions, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, disability, or persons who may require an accommodation to apply.
Please include the following in your instruction:
- An updated curriculum vitae that is relevant to the position
- A cover letter that includes your interest in the position and a description of the qualities and experience you have which will make you excel in this position.
Deadline to apply: February 13, 2023 at 12:00pm PST
Based in Western Canada for over 110 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,300 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
For five consecutive years, McElhanney has been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies. This designation recognizes the best-in-class of Canadian privately-owned and managed companies demonstrating strategy, capability, and commitment to achieve sustainable growth. McElhanney’s been recognized as a 2022 recipient of ACEC-BC EDI Award, recognizing our commitment to advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion through our initiatives in recruitment and retention practices. We were also pleased to receive Glassdoor’s 25 Best Places to Work in Canada Award based on anonymous employee feedback. These awards recognize strong leadership, company culture, and employers that shine brightest according to those who know a company best – its employees. McElhanney was also recognized as a Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2023. These awards recognize strong leadership, company culture, and employers that shine brightest according to those who know a company best – its employees.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Your Challenge. Our Passion.